Pacquiao back in talks to fight Jeff Horn

Publisert kl31 mars 2017 10:37 by Editorial

Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines arrives in the ring to face Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. ahead of their welterweight WBO, WBC and WBA (Super) title fight in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2015. | REUTERS/Steve Marcus

The announcement follows the much-publicised collapse of a $38 million bout between Pacquiao and Britain’s Amir Khan, reportedly after investors in the United Arab Emirates failed to come up with the money.

«We are discussing the matter with (US promoter Bob) Arum,» Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz told AFP by text message, when asked if his boxer would sign a contract Friday to fight Horn.

Top Rank Boxing’s Arum told reporters in New York in mid-March that he was waiting to hear back from Pacquiao, 38, on whether he would take up the option of fighting Horn, 29, after the Khan bout fell through.

Media reports suggested Arum had given Pacquiao until this week to sign the contract, but Koncz declined to comment further.

The Australian state of Queensland had earlier offered to host a Pacquiao-Horn fight in Brisbane.