China’s Tianjin shoot down Costa swoop rumours

Publisert kl24 mai 2017 10:06 by Editorial

CHAMPIONS: Diego Costa (C) celebrates with teammates after scoring their third goal during the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and Southampton at Stamford Bridge. | Reuters

China’s Tianjin Quanjin appear to have shut the door on a rumoured megamoney swoop for Chelsea’s Diego Costa or any other «excessive» spending, amid a government crackdown on high-priced foreign imports.

The Brazilian-born Spain striker has since January been the subject of repeated speculation that he could join Super League club Tianjin when China’s summer transfer window opens next month and become the latest in a wave of big-money foreign signings.

Tianjin issued a statement saying they have «had no communications or negotiations in any form with Diego Costa or his agent team regarding a transfer.»

Echoing the official talking points of China’s spending crackdown, the statement said the club would base any future transfers on the «sustainable development» of the Chinese Super League.

«(We) will not engage in any sort of unhealthy competition and will put a stop to any excessive pricing,» said the statement, issued Tuesday.

Various reports have speculated in recent months that a deal was brewing to pay Chelsea’s Costa tens of millions of dollars per year.

Coached by Italy’s World Cup champion Fabio Cannavaro, Tianjin have foreign talent to challenge for the Super League title but have so far failed to strike any mega-deals.

READ MORE: Dolberg leads impressive new Ajax generation